Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Time Management

One of the hardest things about trying to write is managing your time. I am a full time employee, a father, and a husband. A lot of my time is spent providing for my family and trying to spend as much time with them as I can. Please don't misread this because it is not a complaint. It is the opposite. I fully embrace my roll and love spending time with my family.

When trying to write there are several things that you need.The mindset to write, the place to write without being interrupted, and more importantly, you need the time. My family has been very supportive of this. I am a very lucky man. In the evenings, I have dedicated some time to going into my office, putting in ear plugs, and just writing. I will do this for 1.5 hours at a time. Do I write an entire book in this time? No. But I make progress.

I continue the battle on a daily basis to manage my time. I have resigned to the fact that I cannot write every day and there will be times when I go several days without writing. This is difficult when you are trying meet your goals (as discussed in an earlier topic). The important thing to remember is to not give up. Take the time you can to write and when you do not have time, don't stress about it.

Here are a couple quick tips that I found to help:

- Always have a way to write down ideas or thoughts (notebook, tablet, email)

- Try to set aside scheduled times to write

- Ensure you have a place to go to when you write where you will not be distracted

- Writing should be fun. If you are not enjoying it, step away

I know this sounds like simple advice, but when you implement it, you will see that it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment