Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Beginning of the Digital Journey

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Theodore Roach. I am an aspiring writer. For years, I have written many short stories, poems, novellas, and other works both individually and collectively. The dream of becoming a published author started when I was little. My mother taught me how to use my imagination and transform that into words on paper. The experience was something that I could never replace. I was hooked. Stories were pouring from my brain faster than my hands could write.

Fortunately, I was able to win some contests when I was younger which helped push me to finish more stories. However, I will never forget the day that I learned the hard truth.......I would have a better chance at winning the lottery than becoming a published author. The traditional way of publishing at the time was extremely competitive and an elitism group that I could never hope to penetrate. I gave up on my dream that day (it was a Tuesday and fitting enough it was raining). My life was changed forever. I no longer saw the hopes and dreams of a child because I had to figure out what to do with my life.

I stopped writing for a number of years until I was in college. Creative writing classes sparked that fire inside me again and the stories were pouring out. My professor at the time was impressed with my originality and dedication to writing once I started. Of course, I had horrible grammar and a weird love obsession with commas. Still do. But that is another story for another time. The point is that I started to write again. I knew that I would not be published and considered an "author" but the satisfaction from using my imagination and writing was something I could not deny in myself.

That was over a decade ago. I am still an avid writer. With many stories and thoughts in my head, I cannot express the joy I have from shutting off the world to escape in the world that I create. Several months ago, I was researching how difficult it would be to vanity publish a book. I know what you are thinking, but I will just say it. I wanted to be published, even if that meant I was the only one to ever see it. To have a book finished with my name on it, sitting on the bookshelf in my house. It was something I wanted more than anything as a child, and now.

Luck. That is the only word that I can think of to describe it. It was pure luck that I came across the blog of a man who had created waves in the publishing industry. J.A. Konrath. If you have not heard of him or read his site, I highly recommend that you do. He is a true inspiration. Joe's blog has changed my life. I read almost every single blog on his website and the invaluable advice to authors and aspiring authors about self-publishing. I could not believe what I was reading. You mean that I can write what I want, have someone edit it, add awesome cover art, publish it and make money? No need for a contract or the countless rejections and uncertainty?! I was so stunned that it took months to sink in.

So, here I am. My name is Theodore Roach. I am starting my novel this year, reviewing and revising it, having it edited and published. This year I will have my first book and I will be an author. Am I naive enough to think that I am the best at this? Absolutely not. But I have to start somewhere and I want to tell my stories. I want to learn from feedback and grow as a writer. This is an exciting time. This blog will be a place to share my journey. The ups, the downs, lessons learned, and any advice I get along the way. Maybe I will even sell a few books.

No comments:

Post a Comment