Thursday, March 13, 2014

Creating Side Plots

In the past month, I have dumped all that I had in my head onto the screen. I was able to write more than 120 pages of details and draw out the storyline. Then I went back to the beginning and started to write the first draft. I was writing happily until something seemed out of place. I stopped to think about what I was doing. There was something wrong and I could not put my finger on it.

A week went by, due to work and other things going on. I picked up the story, scanned through it, and stopped at the same exact spot. I can only assume that this is writer's block. But that did not settle well with me. I would not accept it. I took the only action that I could think of......ask for help.

I tapped my friend on the shoulder (well, sent him an email) and asked if I could run it by him. I explained my situation and that something was wrong. I made some suggestions of what I thought might be the problem and I wrote a two page summary of where I was and where the story was going.

It did not take long for him to point out the problem. My story was becoming too linear. There was not enough depth in the story due to the lack of well developed side plots. I started to do it, but when I reached the point where something should happen, I could not write it. It was not developed.

The light went on in my head and the problem was staring me in the face. I am thankful that I have enough courage to admit that I am lost and even more thankful for friends that are willing to help. I am sure that one day they will get tired of me. Now, I am spending the time with story weaving. The side plots, back story, relationships, and driving factors for the characters. This will create the depth and realism within the story. Then I can finally move forward!

Back to writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment